If you plan to watch one wrestling event this year this should probably be it. The Super Bowl of wrestling, the grand daddy of ’em all…blah blah blah. By now you’ve heard it all.
I usually don’t do this kind of thing when it comes to wrestling (or any other sport for that matter) but I thought it would be interesting to share my thoughts as to how I would book ‘Mania. Most of the matches appear to be up for grabs so this could be fun.
* Battle Royal for a shot at the ECW title: I really like this idea. It actually sort of kind of makes the ECW title mean something especially since the winner will face Guerrero later in the show. My mind says Kane but my heart says Cody Rhodes and since I am in charge I am going with the son of a plumber’s son. I have no interest in seeing Kane vs. Chavo but I could get into Cody vs. Chavo. A nice little segment should air prior to the match detailing Dusty’s son rise to prominence and then it should culminate in a victory later in the evening. Again, the title doesn’t mean jack but this could go a long way into restoring whatever credibility it ever had.
* Bunnymania Lumberjack match: Ashley & Maria vs. Beth Phoenix & Melina: We’re accustomed to seeing the current Playboy cover girl winning but Beth Phoenix is such a strong heel and champion that I would give her team the nod. Plus, since Ashley appears to be in the doghouse that might work against Maria. I am still not quite sure what Snoop Dogg will be doing in this match but I doubt he will play a large role in the outcome.
* Belfast Brawl: JBL vs. Finlay: Is it just me or does this match feel like it should be on Smackdown? Nevertheless, it will probably be a fairly entertaining brawl highlighted by a Hornswoggle return leading to a Finlay win. You know, sort of like the movie “In the name of the father.”
* Umaga vs. Batista: I love how this match is being built as Raw vs. Smackdown yet the “brand extension” has been completely ignored over the last month or so. Batista is the bigger star so he should win cleanly although I would book Umaga to win in an upset raising his profile a little more.
* Money in the bank ladder match: Mr. Kennedy vs. Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. MVP vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison: Jeff Hardy’s suspension has made this bout a whole lot more interesting. I am loving MVP right now and he deserves a chance to play with the big boys.
* Ric Flair vs. HBK: I know Flair was just inducted into the Hall of Fame and I know that it’s fairly common knowledge that he is on his way but wouldn’t it be something if he won tonight? I would extend the program one more month, give Backlash the rub and have him lose then. That would be a much more memorable Wrestlemania moment than the predictable loss tonight.
* WWE Championship: John Cena vs. HHH vs. Randy Orton: We all know who’s winning so no point in even dreaming (HHH to the uninformed).
* World Heavyweight Title: Edge vs. Undertaker: So many possibilities with this one. The right thing to do, without a doubt, is Edge retains the belt. ‘Taker’s days are numbered and a loss tonight won’t tarnish his legacy at all. Edge is not quite at the Austin, Rock, Cena level but holding the distinction of being the only man to defeat the Dead man at WM would certainly elevate him. Go Edge!
* Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Big Show: I just can’t see Mayweather agreeing to lose a wrestling match since he loves to boast that he is undefeated. It’s still unclear whether or not PBF will be sticking around post-Mania but I am going to guess this is it for him. If so, old wrestling logic says Show should win. Thinking of an outcome for this match gives me a headache as I really have no clue what will happen. So, here’s hoping Floyd Mayweather Sr. appears, makes up with his estranged son only to turn on him leading to a Show victory. One can dream right?