5. WCW Bash at the Beach 1998 – Dennis Rodman & Karl Malone: One of the few things WCW actually did right was their execution of the Rodman/Hogan vs. Malone/DDP angle. Both men had just met in the NBA Finals and when Bob Costas mentioned their upcoming bout in the middle of a Finals telecast you could hear Bischoff and co. celebrate all the way from Hotlanta.
4. Wrestlemania XI – Lawrence Taylor: I still have a hard time believing LT actually headlined a Wrestlemania but, just to make sure, I checked Wikipedia and it’s true – he did. I give him credit, though, of all the names on this list he certainly performed the best in the ring during his bout against Bam Bam Bigelow. Also, the genesis of this angle (when Bam Bam shoved LT ringside) was very Mayweather-Show ‘esque, wasn’t it?
3. Wrestlemania XIV – Mike Tyson: I’ve already made it known that Tyson-Austin was my favorite angle of the last decade. I mean, it was Mike frickin’ Tyson in there mixing it up with Stone Cold?!?! His appearances made such an impression on me that for the next five years or so, my friends and I would always imitate Tyson’s annoying (yet funny) way of flashing the DX sign. Gotta love Iron Mike.
2. Wrestlemania I (and II but that wasn’t as memorable) – Mr. T: Tyson was tremendous but Mr. T’s involvement in WM I really put this event on the map. Apparently he was a pain to deal with but looking back that really isn’t relevant. T gave Hogan and the rest of the WWF the rub and, for that reason, I am kind of shocked he has yet to be inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame. I know you must be shocked that Kevin Sullivan vs. Mr. T from WCW Starrcade ’94 didn’t make the cut.
1. Memphis wrestling – Andy Kaufman: We can watch wrestling for another 200 years and I am certain we’ll never see a better celebrity angle than Kaufman-Lawler. The women matches, the piledriver, the Letterman appearance – it was all so brilliant. Kaufman truly appreciated the art of getting thousands of people to hate him. If you’ve never seen it (and even if you have) do yourself a favor and watch the Letterman clip below. Just amazing.