Fresh off his thrilling WEC Lightweight title victory over “Razor” Rob McCullough, new champ Jamie Varner returned to The Park to discuss the bout. Varner appeared to be quite the confident fighter in his first appearance around these parts a few months back and, wouldn’t you know it, he actually backed up his words when most weren’t giving him much of a chance. Some of the topics we disscused included:
* What’s it like to finally be crowned champion?
* Did Razor’s trash-talking leading up to the bout piss him off?
* Was he surprised that he knocked him out?
* His game plan going into the fight
* His underestimated boxing skills
* The timeout controversy
* Who will be his first opponent as champ? (Hint: He thinks it will be in June against the winner Marcus Hicks v. Ed Ratcliffe)
* Any interest in unifying the WEC and UFC Lightweight titles?
* His prediction for Sherk vs. Penn
Jamie Varner – 02/19/08
(photo courtesy of Zuffa, LLC)