One of the most anticipated boxing rematches of the last few years is just over 24 hours away and I, for one, can’t wait. Of course, it’s Pavlik vs. Taylor II. The last time we saw these gents they were engaging in arguably the 2007 fight of the year which saw the pride of Youngstown, OH, Kelly Pavlik, beat up on Jermain Taylor and, as a result, snatch away his Middleweight title.
Sadly, Taylor exercised a clause in his contract so tomorrow’s rematch will be fought at 166 lbs instead of 160 meaning the belt won’t be on the line. Weird, I know. And while I also know boxing titles are pretty much useless these days this fact still kind of bugs me. Just doesn’t seem right but, oh well, we are getting the rematch while the first epic is still very fresh in our minds so I can’t complain too much.
As always, Mr. Large (not to be confused with Mr. Big of Sex And The City fame) from No Mas and The Sporting Blog took a stroll with me in The Park to break down tomorrow’s mega-fight. We also discussed:
* Alexander Povetkin’s victory over Eddie Chambers a couple of weeks ago
* Should Chambers move to Cruiserweight?
* What’s next for Povetkin?
* Carlos Quintana’s shocking Welterweight title victory over Paul Williams
* Williams’ extreme weight gain before the bout
* Is it smart for Quintana to fight Shane Mosley next?
* Will lightning strike twice for Pavlik
* What does Taylor have to do to win this time around
* Will Taylor regret not having Manny Steward in his corner
All that and we even discuss a little Bute vs. Joppy! You had to know that I would somehow find a way to talk about my countryman.
Large – 02/15/08