HDNet Fights‘ first foray into the world of Mixed Martial Arts was, well, a mixed bag.
Their 10/13 card was put together on very short notice (described as a “trial run”) and while some of the fights were certainly entertaining it is believed that their upcoming show on December 15 will be the true test as to how good this promotion can and will be.
Needless to say, this card is a major improvement from their last one. The promotion, which is owned by Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban, held a conference call to announce the entire 12/15 card and introduce some of their newest acquisitions – Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Sean Salmon, Frank Trigg and Edwin Dewees.
The main fights on the card include:
Some notes from the call:
– There will be 22-24 shows in 2008; three in Dallas and the rest will be held throughout the country.
– Recent signees Jason Miller and Frank Trigg have both signed a three-fight non-exclusive contract with the promotion.
– They are working very hard to getting HDNet on as many major cable platforms as possible.
– They are interested in signing guys like Ken Shamrock but are very cautious as to how the spend their money.
– No plans to crown any champions…yet. Commissioner Guy Mezger is not a fan of all the belts in MMA and you know what? Neither am I.
– No word on why they chose such a horrible name for the promotion, though.
In any event, I am really looking forward to this card. “Mayhem” Miller is one of the most entertaining fighters in the game and it will be interesting to see how much “Twinkle Toes” Trigg has left in the tank.
While the jury is still out on how good HDNet Fights will be I have a weird feeling that of all the new promotions out there these guys may be in the best position. Why? Two words. Mark. Cuban.
Below is the audio of conference call.
HDNet Fights Press Conference